Why don’t they like me on Facebook? That’s the age old question that gets asked when businesses first join Facebook and it’s an area that all businesses struggle with when trying to use Facebook for business.
The truth of the matter is Facebook marketing doesn’t work for every businesses.
You could have the greatest products in the world, but if someone isn’t interested in what you have to offer, you’re not going to build a relationship with that person and get them to like you on Facebook.
While the products that you offer could be a reason why customer don’t like us on Facebook, there are much more pressing issues, which we’ve highlighted below.
Why don’t they like me on Facebook?
Disconnect of social media priorities
One of the main reasons why they don’t like us on Facebook is because there’s a disconnect.
Here’s what marketers think consumers are doing with social media.
- 59% of marketers think that consumer priorities on social media are to use it for buying decisions. (tweet this)
- 58% of marketers think that they’re using social media for customer service. (tweet this)
What are consumers really doing with social media?
- 83% of using social media for deals and promotions. (tweet this)
- 70% of consumers are using social media for rewards programs. (tweet this)
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that both marketers and consumers have different priorities when it comes to using social media. When those priorities don’t match-up, it’s difficult for someone to like us on Facebook when they’re using social media for a different reason from what we offer.
Don’t forget to talk to your customers
While marketers and consumers use social media for different purposes, another reason why they don’t like us is because we’re not posting the right content.
- 76% of marketers believe they know what social media content their consumers want. (tweet this)
- 34% of marketers ask their consumers what they want. (tweet this)
If more marketers would ask consumers what they want to see on their Facebook Page, chances are, they will get them to like them.
Just because marketers ask consumers what they want to see – and get them to like us on Facebook, studies show they may unlike you if:
- 47% of consumers would unlike a Facebook Page if you clutter their news feed. (tweet this)
- 36% of consumers would unlike a Facebook Page if they don’t want you to contact them. (tweet this)
- 30% of consumers would unlike a Facebook Page if they are concerned about their privacy. (tweet this)
- 27% of consumers would unlike a Facebook Page if you aren’t relevant to them. (tweet this)
As I mentioned, getting someone to like you on Facebook isn’t easy. Once you get them to like your page, it becomes increasingly difficult to get them to continue to like your page.
Products that just don’t work on Facebook
Even if you ask your customers what they want to see you post on Facebook, remember, not all businesses are successful with Facebook marketing.
In those situations, it’s often because of the product category they are in or the products they offer. Studies show, 22% of fans will never like a Facebook Page because they are too embarassed. (tweet this)
What categories are these?
- Adult novelties.
- Weight loss products
- Health and wellness products
If you find yourself in one of these categories, it is understandable for someone to not want to connect with you on Facebook and recommend you to others in their network. There are a lot of reasons why this may happen. Here are a few as to explain “why don’t they like me on Facebook?”
- Concerned about friends seeing what businesses they are associated with because they’re not credible
- Concerns about employers finding out about involvement with certain businesses
If you know someone who uses Facebook for their business and they’re having trouble getting people to like their Facebook Page, be sure to share the following infographic with them – you can also hover over it and “pin it” on Pinterest.
While I’ve highlighted a few reasons why people don’t like us on Facebook, I want to hear from you.
1. What is your primary use of social media?
2.What are some reasons why you don’t like a business on Facebook?